Karen Burkhart Logo
Home PageBiographyMusicReflectionsEventsContact MePromo Kit

Reflections

Saturday, October 23, 2010

You, Me, and Jesus in a Ryder Truck gets AIRPLAY!

Hi Friends and Family:

Listen to the radio spot

I can't wait to share this exciting news with you! I just learned that my song, "You, Me, and Jesus in a Ryder Truck" will be featured on 94. Country (94country.com) tomorrow as the DJ's Pick of the Week! If you're able, tune in tomorrow (Sunday, October 24) between 9:30 and 9:45 am (EST) to hear the introduction and song. This development is a direct result from my time in Nashville last week! Let me tell you about it.

As you know, I travelled to Nashville to attend The 16th Annual Inspirational Country Music Week. My trip was somewhat threatened when I came down with "shingles" just 2 weeks before my scheduled departure. Because every person experiences shingles differently, I wasn't sure what kind of condition I would be in. Thankfully, by the time I left the discomfort was minimal so my plans went ahead.

I travelled to Nashville with my Dad and we had an enjoyable trip. We got into the Nashville/Country Music mode by listening to all my favorites for most of the trip. We arrived Sunday around noon and had just a couple hours before my sound check. I was nervous leading up to the soundcheck. Being at TBN's Trinity Music City was a little intimidating. It was a big stage, lots of lights, and lots of complicated looking technical equipment! Several people sound-checked before me so I was able to gain my composure before my turn. The sound-check went reasonably well though I did strain on a couple notes. All along I'd been praying, "Lord, just let me get those notes--and then not look surprised when I do!" A couple hours later, the showcase began and I was on about half-way through. Honestly, I don't think I could have done any better. My voice was free and singing seemed effortless. All glory to God for that! The audience seemed really receptive and seemed to be drawn in by the stories of my songs (You, Me, and Jesus and Finders Weepers). The show ended with the featured performance by Voices of Glory (America's Got Talent 2009 Top 5 Finalists).

Once the pressure of my showcase was over, I was able to relax and just enjoy the rest of the week--not that I didn't enjoy the performance, but you know how that goes. My Dad flew back to Columbus on Monday so I was so glad to meet another artist who was there on her own. We hung out the rest of the week after my Dad returned to Columbus. Her name is Sheila Berry and she's a much more experienced song-writer than me and gave me so much information and encouragement along the way. God's graciousness never ceases to amaze me. Sheila and I were the ONLY ones at the convention who were there on our own and we were around the same age and showcased back-t0-back so it was the perfect occasion to meet each other. We may not ever have met had we not showcased on the same night.

All week long we enjoyed great music and inspiration. The most helpful seminar I attended was one called, "Is Your Song Radio-Ready". 4 panelists were present and answered several of my questions. I learned how to approach radio with a song and most importantly I walked away feeling that it IS possible for my songs to get on radio. I always had radio artists up on a pedestal and didn't think I could "compete", so to speak. I learned that there are plenty of stations out there playing music from independent artists and that sometimes even relatively unknown artists have songs further up the charts than the "big" names. In country music, it really is all about the story and lyric of the song.

One of the panelists I met at the seminar was Scott Perkins, also known as the Country Parson. He lives in Kansas and has a syndicated Inspirational Country Music show. Scott was very gracious and willing to listen to my song. He must have liked it because just today he messaged me and told me he was going to feature it on his program tomorrow! It will also air in 9 other markets across the country and as far away as Austrailia next week!

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about this development. I pray the song will get picked up by other stations and that the Lord will use it to open even more doors. Even though this particular song isn't the most seriously spiritual song that I sing, it really does have a foundational message of God's design for marriage and our need to ride with Him in all aspects of life. There are too many married people out there trying to do married life on their own, in their own wisdom and strength. Marriage is a marathon and we need God's help and sustaining power.

Well, thanks for reading and for taking an interest in what I'm up to and how God is using my music.

Take care!!

For His Sake,
Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please Input your comments

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Powered by Blogger