Karen Burkhart Logo
Home PageBiographyMusicReflectionsEventsContact MePromo Kit

Reflections

Monday, May 10, 2010

Encountering God

I've been thinking a little about REVIVAL lately and what it's going to take for we, as members of the Body of Christ, to begin living the radical life that we've been called to. Surely God didn't save us so we could go to church on Sunday, say "grace" three times a day, and put fish on the back of our cars. When I read the Bible I see that disciples (followers) of Christ lived extreme lives--lives that were filled with great adventure, miracles, and encounters with God. Of course, I realize they had mundane aspects in their lives too and certainly more than their share of suffering, but look at the fruit of their lives!

On Sunday our pastor asked us to imagine leading one person to Christ in our lifetime. I certainly appreciated the challenge and recognize that for some, it may even have seemed beyond reach, but I must confess that I was a little sadenned that we feel we have to expect so little out of disciples of the living God. Weren't we told that the same power that raised Christ from the dead now dwells in us? As a recovering legalist, I certainly recognize the pitfalls in a discussion like this. I'm absolutely not suggesting we guilt anyone into witnessing. I remember well the days of sitting in the salon chair stewing about the right opportunity to share the gospel with my stylist only to slink away with a freshly coiffed do and a side order of guilt for not having witnessed. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about real revival where our encounters with God are so powerful and our spirits are so full that whatever we do and wherever we go we reflect His glory. What's it going to take to turn our Christian list of have-tos into love-tos and compelled-tos?

I'm convinced that what is lacking in the lives of many warming our pews is a genuine encounter with Jesus. Not your mother's encounter. Not your grandparents' encounter. Not even your child's encounter. But YOUR encounter. No, it's not all about experiencing goosebumps and warm feelings (those are fleeting), but we all need something to make our faith REAL and come alive! I believe that God delights to make Himself real to each of us. So, why do so many feel distant and like their faith is only in their head? It's going to take an encounter with Jesus for faith to take that long trip from the head to the heart.

So, how can we encounter Jesus? I think humbling ourselves and confessing our need is probably a good place to start. Jesus has never been a fan of self-righteousness and self-sufficiency. The Lord is near to the contrite and broken in spirit. I think another step in the right direction is to actually attempt something bigger than ourselves--whether that's a tangible or intangible. Meeting His children in the midst of steps of faith seems to be favorite activity of God. No doubt you've heard before that faith is like a muscle and it has to be exercised in order to grow. And further, if our faith isn't exercised, just like muscles, atrophy will set in. So, if we're not growing in faith, we're losing faith.

Do you want to encounter Jesus? Try needing Him. Try asking Him to meet you. He won't disappoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please Input your comments

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Powered by Blogger